A 14 year-old Maryland girl died in December of 2011, and her parents are suing Monster Energy drink company. The teen consumed two 24oz. Monster energy drinks in a 24-hour period and died from what the coroner claimed was “caffeine toxicity.”
Here’s my take:
What the HELL is a 14-year old doing drinking MONSTER drinks?!
I have always been careful about what I let my girls drink. They are not allowed regular soda (Coca-Cola or Dr. Pepper), so they usually have root beer or lemon-lime soda. Furthermore, they only get it once or twice a WEEK. Look, I’m not trying to be over the top about it- but they don’t need soda. Hell, I DON’T need soda. And with all the research done lately about obesity and sugar consumption, it’s just as well they avoid it. Did you know that one CAN of coca cola has TEN – yes TEN teaspoons of sugar in it? Did you also know that drinking just ONE can of soda (meaning 12oz.) per day equates to 32 POUNDS of sugar consumption per year?
Speaking of sugar consumption, I also don’t let my girls have diet drinks. I’m a bit skeptical about what exactly aspartame will do long term – so those are out. I also anti-coffee (maybe because I don’t like coffee myself), so there are no visits to Starbucks for the Bice girls.
So the question begs: What is OK? I know it’s a parents choice to make ultimately, but I have a hard time justifying why a 14 year old would need energy drinks, or 12 year old needs coffee?
Favorite QuoteOne cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well. ~ Virginia Woolf
Find me on Facebook